Sunday 27 November 2016

Memory- An idiot box of compromise



I vividly remember the days of my childhood when I and my siblings- Pankaj and Raju used to share our lunch or dinner from one plate placed at the centre and we would encircle the food; preventing any flies from entering into the space. I was always the first one to finish and wait till the other two finished. This was something that left a mark in my heart and every time I come across homeless wandering children living at the roadside clamoring for food, it breaks my heart.
The life I spent was disciplined and rigid as compared to these homeless children who are independent and free willed. They are friendlier to the people passing by and the road which most of the time bullies them and threatens their safety. Their ragged dresses, unhealthy life, shrunk faces, dirt accumulated bodies reminds me of my contrasting life which was filled with the weight of my school bags filled up with 11 subjects including drawing text in class two.
This weight exhausted me every day, which I bore at the expense of knowledge and education. But the people in the rugged streets now have to deal with daily hardships for the sake of their one time meal. This is their daily activity.
Those carefree days of throwing tantrums pretending to cry, making a grim face before my father and conquering the market at the time of returning home from any festivity is unchangeable.
Those memories remind me of the street people whose children, lean and lanky as their property cannot afford to serve them with a meal sometimes. Living a life full of memory is no greater than a life struggling for memory. Perhaps something can be done to change the fate of these street children and ensure that they live a life that assures them with all the security of the future and save them from the clutches of the big bad world.
Raja Das

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unemployment Woes in India: A Mass Communication Student’s Perspective

As a student diving into the intricate world of Mass Communication, we’re not just a spectator but a shaper of narratives, a voice amid the ...