Wednesday 30 November 2016

Music That Connects Heals And Unites…



Music is one of the oldest and greatest creations by human being. Human beings have witnessed the presence of music since the early stages of human civilization. Right from the usage of the tools, they have learned the basic creation of music and since then we all know what music has turned out to be. Music has no language, regional and religious barrier all across the globe and it has become an essential part of our lives. Music has an absolute positive vibe that can influence our mind and body. The above cited concept about music has been always true in my case as well or I can say wider in fact. Since childhood I have been a big music lover and was always in search of good music irrespective of language, country or genre. I was not involved with music during my school days but as soon as I stepped in college (Gauhati University) I got the opportunity to learn some of the basics of western classical music beginning with the guitar. The initial days were quite unknown; the curiosity in my mind compelled me to learn new aspects about music that could be created through the stringed instrument.
After having tried others guitar I possessed my own very soon and this stopped the long wait that I had to endure  to use other’s guitar.
First strum on my guitar, and what a feeling it induced in my mind. The memories so strong have been still fresh and vivid. I realized that I was a quick learner and soon caught the attention of many. After having met with several musicians and singer in and around the university campus, I remember the first call that came to me for a performance and the excitement and nervousness it gave me at the same time. Very soon these little knowledge and involvement in music gave me a platform I had never imagined. All of us know life is not a bed of roses which comprises of various problems and sorrows; it won’t leave us till we die but we all find different ways to heal our wounds and keep ourselves happy in some way or the other.. Like everyone I have been through some of the difficult days of my life and I know there’s lot more to come thereafter but what kept my nerves still was my involvement in music.
Varsity week 2014 was ahead and hostellers were busy preparing for various cultural competitions. I with some of my fellow mates prepared with lots of hard work; well one more step towards my first ever competition. We sang well but we were  not declared winners; however this left an indelible mark in my mind  and made me realize that there are so many new things that I learn.
My plethora of experiences and the modest knowledge of music gave me the prospect to be a part of professional choir group. It was an extremely undiscovered world for me and it was the first ever platform outside the campus where I got an opportunity to express my talent. My evenings got a new purpose that was full of musical mirth and entertainment but the best part is I met with some of the awesome musically iterate persons and struck with them new bonding of friendships. Days, months and a year with lots of memories smeared with new colors in my life. Now we can boast of shows that includes the international shows in SOUTH ASIAN GAMES 2016 held in Guwahati and there was one thing that I learnt during such shows is that even if all the people don’t understand the language that we sing it does not stop them from enjoying and cheering us; and that’s the magic of music that unite us all.
Perhaps exposure to different forms of music could lead to exploration of new ideas and transcend boundaries they  never thought existed. 
Rahul Rabha              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unemployment Woes in India: A Mass Communication Student’s Perspective

As a student diving into the intricate world of Mass Communication, we’re not just a spectator but a shaper of narratives, a voice amid the ...