Friday 22 November 2019

Transition of the transgender


India had a Transgender Lawyer Satyasri Sharmila, a Transgender Judge Joyita Mondal, a Transgender Police Officer Parithika Yashini, and now Megha Sahoo and Rani Kinnar are bringing in a change by venturing into transport service.

I first heard the term transgender in class 6th. One day when I asked my Hindi Teacher,the meaning of the term. She said that there are three types of sex- male, female and transgender. I get confused that if female gender is for woman, male is for man but who are the transgenders. She looked at me and found it difficult to answer and asked me to leave. I got into deep thinking  about what this term meant and was enlightened by my brother. He not only told me about their characteristics but also how we stereotype them in doing particular kind of work. He very casually told me that these people, often ask for money in the trains, roam here and there and also indulge in unsocial activities. I was made to believe that these were the only work that they were capable of doing. There were a lot unanswered questions in my mind but I decided to let them rest.

Then as time passed I found that the colloquial terms used to describe them like Hizzra and Kinner were used in an abusive manner. Then in the year 2014 October, when  I was in the 10th class, I came across a lot of videos online, read a lot of stories,  and a lot of articles that described their condition in India.

This inquisitiveness led me to speak to a Transgender person Chameli,  who lived in Naraina, New Delhi close to where I lived. While I was asking her about her health and  her lifestyle, it occurred to me that they were victimised and despite her interest in education, they were left out. Even in terms of work, they were exposed or rather offered very limited jobs.

This left me thinking that when we cannot consider them a part of our society or give them equal rights, why should we expect them to live their lives otherwise. It is not easy to face the world when you are constantly being looked down upon for your sexuality. Almost every other transgender person has to face the abusive behavior in the society they live in. To make their lives better and to make a mark with this identity, they have to take the tough path.

And since then, I have been reading about them, knowing about them and want to know more and want to tell people that they are one of us.
The Democratic Youth Federation of India (DYFI), the youth wing of the CPM, has inducted nine members of the transgender community into the organisation as part of its efforts to bring the marginalised section into mainstream politics and universities across India have created options for higher education of transgender people. Time we change our perception and realise that inclusiveness is the door to development of all.



Lina Sharma

Ist Semester
Department of Communication and Journalism

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unemployment Woes in India: A Mass Communication Student’s Perspective

As a student diving into the intricate world of Mass Communication, we’re not just a spectator but a shaper of narratives, a voice amid the ...